Where To Stay in Playa Del Carmen Mexico: Top Areas And How To Choose The Best For Your Trip
Looking for where to stay in Playa Del Carmen Mexico? There are a few things you need to take into account when making your decision. What is your budget like? What areas of the city are you interested in staying in? And what type of hotel do you want? In this blog post, we will outline the best areas to stay in Playa Del Carmen and list some top hotels in each area. We'll also give you some tips on how to decide where to book your stay!
We have spent almost 4 months in Playa Del Carmen over the course of the last 2 years. Initially we were confused on where we should stay as a family during our visit. On the one hand we wanted to be close to everything, but we also had to consider the fact that we had a baby with us and needed to have some peace and quiet as well.
After spending so much time there in the different areas, we have come to realize that you really can't go wrong on picking a spot. There are no areas to "avoid" really. It all basically comes down to what your needs are and how much time you have in and what you plan to do in Playa Del Carmen.
Playa Del Carmen Neighbohoods - The Best Areas To Stay
Where are the different neighborhoods of Playa Del Carmen? Here is a short description of the main areas:
- Centro is the area between Av. Benito Juarez to Av. Constituyentes between the beach and 30 Av. Sur. This little rectangle of "downtown" also includes the famous 5th Avenue walking street.
- Playacar is just south of Centro. It consists of a condo communities along with resorts and even its own Mayan Ruins archaeological site.
- This is an upscale gated community located just south of the city center. If you are looking for a luxurious and relaxing stay, then this is the area for you! The beaches here are some of the best in town and many resorts offer all-inclusive packages. Some top hotels in this area include The Royal Hideaway, Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, and Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa.
This is best for those who:
- Want a luxurious and relaxing stay
- Are looking for all-inclusive resorts
Here are our top picks for this area:
Central Playa Del Carmen
This area is where you will find the most action. This is where you will find the best nightlife, restaurants, and shopping. The beaches here are also great! Many of the top hotels in town are located here. Central Playa Del Carmen is best for those who:
- Want to be close to the action (walk everywhere)
- Are looking for trendy and hip hotels
- Have a shorter stay
Here are our top picks for this area:
A quieter and more laid back area than central Playa, this is a great area if you are looking for a relaxing beach vacation. The beaches here are beautiful and the hotels are more affordable than in central Playa.
This is best for those who:
- Want to be away from the hustle and bustle of central Playa
- Are looking for a relaxing beach vacation
Top Hotels here:
Some other neighborhoods in Playa Del Carmen include: Colonia Emiliano Zapata, Plaza Mayor, and Ruta de los cenotes. Just be sure to consult a map before deciding where to stay!
How to Decide Where to Book Your Stay
Now that you know where the best areas to stay in Playa Del Carmen are, how do you decide where to book your stay? Here are some tips:
- Consider your budget. Close to the beach, Central Playa Del Carmen is where you will find the most expensive hotels. If you are on a tight budget, then consider staying a bit farther out of the Centro radius. The farther you are away from the beach, typically, you will find the rates will be lower.
- Consider your interests . Do you want to be close to the action? Then central Playa Del Carmen is the best area for you. Are you looking for a more relaxed beach vacation? Then north Playa Del Carmen is the best area for you. If you are a couple or traveling with friends staying for a short period, then staying in Centro will help you save travel time when doing activities and you will be able to walk to restaurants and shopping without spending money of taxis. Alternatively, if you are traveling with your family and have small children, you may want to stay further north or further south from the main area.
- Read hotel reviews . Hotel reviews can be helpful in deciding which hotel is right for you. Reading reviews from people who have stayed at different hotels can help give you a better idea of what each hotel is like. Sometime, we have found that someone's negative perspective is actually something we are looking for!
- Consider who you are traveling with. Where you choose to stay will highly depend on what the needs of your travel companions may be. If you are traveling as a family, you will want to be away from the nightlife areas but still close enough to enjoy some of the activities. On the other hand, if you are traveling with a group of friends, you may want to be right in the center of all the action.
What part of Playa del Carmen is best?
There is no one "best" area to stay in Playa del Carmen. It really depends on what you are looking for and your budget. If you are looking for a luxurious and relaxing stay, then Playacar is the best area for you. This is also great for those traveling families who will appreciate the gated community and the available amenities.
If you want to be close to the action, then central Playa Del Carmen is the best area for you. This are is perfect for those staying a shorter time period and want to have easy access to the bars and restaurants as well as the beaches.
If you are looking for a more relaxed beach vacation, then south Playa Del Carmen is the best area for you. Those who want to take it slow and don't mind taking a short taxi ride when they feel like doing some activities will appreciate the tranquility of this area.
If your budget is the number one factor for choosing where to stay in Playa Del Carmen. We have outlined the hotels below for you according to that.
Best Budget Places to Stay in Paya Del Carmen
If you are looking for a budget place to stay in Playa Del Carmen, we have some suggestions for you. Here are our top three picks:
All of these hotels are located in central Playa Del Carmen and offer great value for your money. Just be sure to read hotel reviews before making your decision!
Top Luxury Hotels & Resorts In Playa del Carmen
If you are looking for a luxurious and relaxing stay in Playa Del Carmen, we have some great recommendations for you. Here are our top three picks:
Mahekal Beach Resort -This beachfront resort is located in the heart of Playa Del Carmen. Aside from the friendly and professional staff, guests love being near the city center for shopping, sightseeing, restaurants and bars.
Hotel Xcaret Mexico - This all-inclusive resort offers guests a variety of amenities, including access to a private beach club and discounts on activities in the area. The rooms are comfortable and clean, and the staff is always willing to help with anything you need.
Palmaïa - The House of AïA Wellness Enclave All Inclusive . This five-star resort is located in the Playacar area, just steps from the beach. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed, and the staff is known for being attentive and friendly. If you're looking to splurge on your vacation, this is the place for you.
All of these resorts are located in beautiful and peaceful areas of Playa Del Carmen and offer world-class service and amenities. Just be sure to read hotel reviews before making your decision!
Mid-Range Hotels in Playa Del Carmen
If you're looking for a mid-range hotel in Playa Del Carmen, we recommend the Hotel Real del Mayab. This three-star hotel is located just a short walk from the beach and offers guests a variety of amenities, including an on-site restaurant and bar. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the staff is friendly and helpful.
Some Frequently Asked Questions From First Time Visitors
How many days should I stay in Playa del Carmen?
If I had to pick the best amount of time for a family vacation on Playa Del Carmen I would say at least one week. If it's your first time, you'll want to be able to enjoy the great activities and sights without rushing. With 5 to 7 days, you can enjoy some relaxation on the beach and still go out and explore the cenotes and ruins!
Is it better to stay in Cozumel or Playa del Carmen?
I would recommend Playa Del Carmen over Cozumel simply because it just feels more authentic and comfortable. While they are both very "touristy" Playa Del Carmen feels more like a town and still has all the great restaurants and shopping. Cozumel is a great day trip for those looking to snorkel or enjoy other water activities.
Where is better to stay Cancun or Playa del Carmen?
Cancun is for visitors who are looking to stay in an all-inclusive resort and just relax on the beach. It doesn't offer the walking street and all the benefits of having it nearby in Playa Del Carmen. You will have more options for different styles of accommodations and traveler needs when you go to Playa Del Carmen.
What is the best month to go to Playa del Carmen?
While December and January are typically the best months weather-wise, it can get very crowded during that time of year. February and March are great. Even April and May should be considered as they offer the lowest prices for travelers.
We spent January, February and March in the Yucatan and had an amazing time exploring the area.
Let us know in the comments below if you have any additional questions we can answer!
Use our favorite travel resources to plan your trip:
About the Author
Hi! I'm just a California girl addicted to travel and adventure with a passion for art and dance on the side. Born in Iran, but I consider myself a citizen of Earth, adhering to the belief that "The world is but one country and mankind its citizen." I strive to make a positive impact on everyone I meet and learn as much as possible from them. My degree out of college is in Marketing. However, I entered the hospitality business at an early age and worked my way up to hotel management. After about 13 years in that industry (5 of which I was a hotel assistant manager), I made the decision to move to Thailand and leave the 9 to 5 grind behind. My husband and I set off for a life of living abroad and hopes to continue traveling the world, just 3 months after our wedding. It all started with the two of us, along with our cat, together in Thailand. Can't wait to see where life takes us next!